Y’s Men’s Club International

Barbara Lowe Newsletters Leave a Comment

Y’s Men’s Club International

What provides leadership opportunities, a way to give back to your community, builds lasting friendships, but most importantly, is fun? The Y’s Men’s Club, of course! We are always talking about what amazing and helpful things the Midland Y’s Men’s Club does for our community, but did you know that this is actually an international organization? Y’s Men International was founded by Judge Paul William Alexander in 1922 in Toledo, Ohio. Originally this group of 8 men formed to support their local YMCA and now, 96 years later, the Y’s Men International serves YMCA’s worldwide. Who would have ever imagined that one small group would grow to 1395 clubs around the world with 25,173 members (as of statistics from February 1, 2017)?

Although their mission hasn’t changed since the beginning, there has been one major progression over the years: what started as a men’s club has now grown to include Y’s Women’s Clubs, Y’s Men’s and Women’s Clubs and Y’s Service Clubs thus offering everyone the opportunity to participate.

What does it mean to be a member?

When you become a member, you become involved with leadership development, service to the YMCA & community,

and social activities that the club organizes or participates in. The club that you are considering joining consists of members who are looking to make a difference.

Members often possess the following qualities;

  • Unselfishness
  • Loyalty
  • Enthusiasm
  • Passion
  • Commitment

They also believe “SERVICE IN ACTION”, meaning actions speak louder than words. Being part of this group is definitely something special and important. Check out this video about what Joan Wilson (Past International President) had to say about what a Y’s Man or Woman is: Youtube Video

Annual Conference

This August will mark the 73rd annual conference held by The Y’s Men’s International Association. Each year, over 1500 attendees around the globe discuss what improvements are needed to keep up with our ever-changing world. This year’s focus will be to reflect on past activities and look towards a new direction for the Y’s Men’s 100th Anniversary.

The Work

When each chapter organizes or participates in events or fundraisers, approximately 90% of all the funds raised are kept in that community. The other 10% goes to the Y’s Men’s International Association who then disperses it to the many different programmes they support. The Time of Fast – Global Fund program and Roll Back Malaria are just 2 examples of the work that is being done by the Y’s Men to help internationally.

Being part of such a great organization that is striving to make the world a better place can not only be rewarding in knowing that you are giving back to your community, it also is a lot of FUN!